.rwe Domain Information
Applicant Full Legal Name
Applied for gTLD
Domain Registration Status
Mission/Purpose of Domain Extension
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .RWE gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY. The new .rwe gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which the RWE AG (RWE) can... Read more
The new .rwe gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which the RWE AG (RWE) can create and control domain spaces to strengthen its brand's identity and authenticity. In this regard, the .rwe will be used by RWE to provide information, services and resources to consumers in a way that promotes trust, convenience and utility. The .rwe gTLD will provide an authoritative internet space for RWE, its affiliates and partners that are associated with the brand. Second and third level domains can then be utilised for campaigns, sub-brands, products and locations, with internet users assured of brand authenticity.
RWE is an internationally operating group, with Europe as its main market. As such, RWE is one of Europe's leading electricity and gas companies, covering all aspects of the entire energy value chain. RWE has more than 70,000 employees, 16 million customers and recorded more than €53 billion in revenue for the 2010 fiscal year. RWE is the top power producer in Germany and one of the largest in the Netherlands and the UK. RWE continuously invest in building more efficient and environmentally friendly power plants with strong renewable energy focus. The company values of RWE include innovation and openness to new developments, which will be reflected and strengthened in the implementation of the .rwe gTLD.
Business activities are increasingly conducted over the internet, allowing for greater levels of interaction between businesses and customers. As a result, both businesses and end users benefit from ease of interaction and a wider range of choices with lower transaction costs. However, the development in this arena in the current domain name system has exposed both businesses and consumers to increased criminal activities over the internet, including data breach, hacking and phishing. These sophisticated criminal activities cause reputational damage to businesses as internet users lose consumer confidence and trust with the businesses targeted by such criminal activities. The .rwe gTLD will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with RWE online, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction.
RWE's mission and purpose of the proposed new gTLD share ICANN's initiatives to promote the public interest. RWE is committed to contribute towards achieving such initiatives in line with ICANN's Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- consumer trust: the .rwe gTLD registry will be operated in a centralised manner with a restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to RWE and its affiliate entities, which will provide added consumer trust that .rwe domain names are trustworthy and their communications are authentic. As .rwe domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under RWE's control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .rwe domain space;
- competition: the proposed new gTLD is not intended to instigate competition and consumer choice among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest through its operation focusing on strengthening consumer trust. Increased trust in .rwe will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the proposed new gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting RWE's marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with RWE. As RWE has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under .rwe domain space, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of the .rwe gTLD, the projected number of registration is likely to be limited. It is anticipated that a more limited number of domain names (around 15) will be registered in the first year. However, over the next few years, the number of registrations is likely to increase up to 300 domain names as RWE develop and implement business plans to utilise the various potential uses of .rwe available in accordance with the mission and purpose of the new gTLD. RWE will keep ICANN reasonably informed of any material developments relating to .rwe gTLD including compliance with the continued operations instrument obligations as set out in Specification 8 of the Registry Agreement.
RWE intends to create relevant domain names for use including marketing campaigns, sub-brands, products or geographic names at the second or third level domain names. In accordance with registration policies and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names as outlined in response to Question 22, RWE will use geographic names to localise its websites the countries in which it operates. The use of geographic names is intended to:
- connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory; and
- comply with required rules and regulations in the national territory.
RWE will also utilise Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level of domain names, initially only using the German language. The use of IDNs will allow internet users to engage with .rwe in their native language, creating a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity. As the use of the .rwe gTLD evolves, it is anticipated that the use of IDNs, including the use of additional languages, will increase within the .rwe domain space.
RWE is a well-recognised global brand with its trademarks registered in 70 countries and territories, including the European Union. Registration of the "RWE" trademark includes , but is not limited to, the following categories: natural gas, petroleum, coal, electrical energy and other fuels (Class 4); storage, transportation, distribution and delivery of energy and fuel (Class 39); and the production of energy, in particular through water, petroleum and natural gas (class 40).
RWE also has extensive domain name registrations including 23 domain names with exact match to the "RWE" trademark registered across various ccTLDS and 7 registered across various gTLDs. Additionally, RWE has domain names registed in over 500 ccTLDs and 1000 gTLDs containing the "RWE" trademark.