.landrover Domain Information
Applicant Full Legal Name
Jaguar Land Rover PLC
Gaydon Warwickshire CV35 ORR
Applied for gTLD
Domain Registration Status
Mission/Purpose of Domain Extension
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .LANDROVER gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY. The new .landrover gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which Land Rover... Read more
The new .landrover gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which Land Rover can create and control domain spaces that promote its brand identity and authenticity. In this regard, the .landrover gTLD will be used by Land Rover to provide information and services regarding its luxury four-wheel drive and off-road vehicles to consumers in a way that promotes trust, confidence and simplicity. The .landrover gTLD will provide an authoritative internet space for Land Rover, its affiliates and partners that are associated with the Land Rover brand. Second and third level domains can then be utilised for specific pages for Land Rover's car models and dealerships, as well as for communication and marketing purposes, with internet users assured of brand authenticity.
Land Rover is a premium car company that designs, develops, manufactures and sells a range of luxury four-wheel drive and off-road vehicles and related parts and accessories. Land Rover is a subsidiary of Jaguar Land Rover PLC. Land Rover has a proud heritage of producing four-wheel drive and off-road vehicles for over 60 years since the first Land Rover was unveiled in 1948. Land Rover manufactures its four-wheel drive vehicles in the UK and exports to about 140 countries around the world. Land Rover employs over 9,000 people in the UK and across the world. Land Rover is experiencing strong demand for its cars in international markets and recorded revenue for the most recent 15 month period of over GBP 6.9 billion. Land Rover constantly updates and improves its product range as part of the company's commitment to provide technically advanced and competitively priced luxury four-wheel drive cars. In this regard, consumer trust and continuous innovation are paramount considerations in all its activities. The new .landrover gTLD will enhance Land Rover's position as an innovative, forward-thinking car company, strengthen global online awareness of the Land Rover brand and provide an easily accessible and intuitive reference point for users to access information about Land Rover's range of four-wheel drive and off-road cars.
Since the inception of the current domain name system, business activities conducted on the internet are constantly changing and evolving with increased complexity. The volume of commercial transactions over the internet is constantly growing and bringing benefits of simplicity and lowered transaction costs to businesses and consumers. However, at the same time, criminal activities over the internet including data breach, hacking and phishing activities have also become more sophisticated resulting in loss of consumer confidence beyond mere monetary harm. The .landrover gTLD will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with Land Rover online, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction.
Land Rover's mission and purpose of the proposed new gTLD share ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest. Land Rover is committed to contribute towards achieving such initiatives in line with ICANN's Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- consumer trust: .landrover gTLD will be operated in a centralised manner with a restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to Land Rover and its affiliate entities, at this stage, which will provide added consumer trust that .landrover domain names are trustworthy. As .landrover domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under Land Rover's control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .landrover domain space;
- competition: the new gTLD is not intended to instigate competition and consumer choice at the level of registration of domain names among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest through its operation focused on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in .landrover will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the new gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting Land Rover's marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with Land Rover. As Land Rover has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under .landrover, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of the .landrover gTLD, the projected number of registration is likely to be limited, with about 50 to 150 domain names registered in the first three years. The number of registrations is likely to increase as Land Rover updates its product range and develops new car models and marketing campaigns.
As the new .landrover gTLD expands, Land Rover will continue to comply with all operational, technical and policy requirements, as well as maintaining consumer trust and the stability of the internet. Land Rover will keep ICANN reasonably informed of any material developments relating to .landrover gTLD including compliance with the continued operations instrument obligations as set out in Specification 8 of the Registry Agreement.
Land Rover intends to create relevant domain names including Land Rover's products, services and geographic names at the second or third level. In accordance with registration policy and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names as outlined in response to Question 22, Land Rover may use geographic names to localise its websites in countries in which it operates. The use of geographic names is intended to:
- connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory; and
- comply with required rules and regulations in the national territory.
Land Rover does not intend to utilise Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level initially. However, as the use of the .landrover gTLD evolves, Land Rover may utilise IDNs within the .landrover domain space to allow internet users to engage with .landrover in their native language, creating a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity.
Land Rover is a famous global brand with its trademarks registered in 143 countries and territories for categories including: Vehicles including engines, body parts and transmissions (Class 12); Paints (Class 2); Machinery (Class 7); Paper goods and printed matter (Class 16); Non-metallic building materials (Class 19); Insurance and financial services (Class 36); and Building construction and repair (Class 37).
Land Rover has an extensive domain portfolio including domain names with an exact match to the "Land Rover" trademark and the applied for .landrover string in the following spaces:
- gTLDs: landrover.asia, landrover.biz, landrover.com, landrover.info, landrover.jobs, landrover.name and landrover.tel
- 107 ccTLDs including: landrover.com.cn, landrover.eu, landrover.in, landrover.jp, landrover.co.uk, landrover.us
Land Rover also has over 150 existing domain names in both the gTLD and ccTLD spaces containing the "Land Rover" trademark.
Land Rover believes that the .landrover gTLD is unlikely to cause confusion with either a generic term or any existing TLDs. Land Rover trademarks are a leading global brand with strong reputation in countries all around the world. Land Rover has used the term Land Rover in conjunction with its four-wheel drive car businesses for almost 64 years. As such, the Land Rover brand is synonymous with four-wheel drive and off-road vehicles.×