THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .TATAMOTORS gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST, CONVENIENCE AND UTILITY. The new .tatamotors gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which Tata Motors Limited (Tata Motors) can create and control domain spaces that... Read more
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .TATAMOTORS gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST, CONVENIENCE AND UTILITY.
The new .tatamotors gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which Tata Motors Limited (Tata Motors) can create and control domain spaces that promote its brand's identity and authenticity. In this regard, the .tatamotors will be used by Tata Motors to provide information, services and resources to consumers in a way that promotes trust, convenience and utility. The .tatamotors gTLD will provide an authoritative internet space for Tata Motors, and its affiliates that are associated with the brand. Second and third level domains can then be utilised for branding, marketing and other business strategic purposes, with internet users assured of brand authenticity.
Tata Motors is Indiaʹs largest automobile company, with consolidated revenues of INR 1,23,133 crores (USD 27 billion) in 2010-11. It is the leader in commercial vehicles in each segment, and among the top three in passenger vehicles with winning products in the compact, midsize car and utility vehicle segments. It is the worldʹs fourth largest truck and bus manufacturer. The companyʹs over 25,000 employees are guided by the vision to be ʹʹbest in the manner in which we operate, best in the products we deliver, and best in our value system and ethics.ʹʹ Tata Motors is also expanding its international footprint, established through exports since 1961. The companyʹs commercial and passenger vehicles are already being marketed in several countries in Europe, Africa, the Middle East, South East Asia, South Asia, CIS, Russia and South America. It has franchisee/joint venture assembly operations in Bangladesh, Ukraine, and Senegal. Listed on the New York Stock Exchange, NYSE, Tata Motors is also involved in various joint ventures and has considerable other holdings globally including the iconic Jaguar Land Rover in the United Kingdom. Tata Motors aims to be world-class automotive innovators, developing world-class vehicles through the advancement of its technical knowledge and its product engineering processes In this regard, consumer trust and continuous innovation are paramount considerations in all its activities.
Since the inception of the current domain name system, business activities conducted on the internet are constantly changing and evolving with increased complexity. The volume of commercial transactions over the internet is constantly growing and bringing benefits of simplicity and lowered transaction costs to businesses and consumers. However, at the same time, criminal activities over the internet including data breach, hacking and phishing activities have also become more sophisticated resulting in loss of consumer confidence beyond mere monetary harm. The .tatamotors gTLD will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with Tata Motors online, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction.
Tata Motors' mission and purpose for the proposed new gTLD share goals consistent with ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest. Tata Motors is committed to contribute towards achieving the goals for such initiatives in a manner consistent with ICANN's Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- consumer trust: the .tatamotors gTLD registry will be operated in a centralised manner with a restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to Tata Motors and its affiliate entities, at this stage, which will provide added consumer trust that .tatamotors domain names are trustworthy. As .tatamotors domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under Tata Motors' control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .tatamotors domain space;
- competition: the proposed new gTLD is not intended to instigate competition and consumer choice at the level of registration of domain names among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest through its operation focused on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in the .tatamotors gTLD will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the proposed new gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting Tata Motors' marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with Tata Motors. As Tata Motors has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under .tatamotors domain space, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of the .tatamotors gTLD, the projected number of registration is likely to be limited. It is anticipated that limited number of domain names (estimated 100 domain names) will be registered in the first year. However, over the next few years, the number of registrations is likely to increase to about 300 to 600 domain names as Tata Motors develops and implements new services and marketing campaigns.
Tata Motors intends to create relevant domain names for use including product, services or geographic names in the second or third level domain names. In accordance with registration policy and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names as outlined in response to Question 22, Tata Motors will use geographic names to localise its websites in a number of countries across Europe, Africa, the Middle East, South East Asia, Russia and South America in which it operates. The use of geographic names is intended to:
- connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory; and
- comply with required rules and regulations in the national territory.
Tata Motors does not intend to utilise Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level initially. However, as the use of the .tatamotors gTLD evolves, it is anticipated that Tata Motors will utilise IDNs within the .tatamotors domain space to allow internet users to engage with .tatamotors in their native language, creating a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity.
Tata Motors is a well-recognised global brand with presence across Asia, Europe and Africa with its trademarks registered in India for the following categories: Stationary, Brochures, Pamphlets, Sales Mailers, Papers, Printed Matters, Booklets (Class 16); and Land Vehicles and Parts (Class 12).
Further, Tata Motors has existing domain names in spaces including: tatamotors.com, tatamotors.sg, tatamotors.com.au, tatamotors.eu.com, tatamotors.hk, tatamotors.jp
Tata Motors believes that the .tatamotors gTLD is unlikely to cause confusion with either a generic term or any existing TLDs. Tata Motors trademarks are a leading global brand with significant reputation globally, Tata Motors has a strong reputation in countries all around the world. As such, the Tata Motors brand is well known for its automotive and engineering business.×