THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .ERICSSON gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONSUMER CONFIDENCE IN THE AUTHENTICITY OF THE ERICSSON BRAND. The .ericsson gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson (Ericsson) can... Read more
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .ERICSSON gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONSUMER CONFIDENCE IN THE AUTHENTICITY OF THE ERICSSON BRAND.
The .ericsson gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson (Ericsson) can create and control domain names within .ericsson that promote the identity and authenticity of its brand. In this regard, .ericsson will be used by Ericsson to provide information, services and resources to its customers in a way that promotes trust and convenience. .ericsson will provide an authoritative Internet space for Ericsson, its affiliates and partners that are associated with the brand. The majority of the anticipated domain name registrations in the .ericsson gTLD will be used to maintain and manage the online identity of the Ericsson brand. As the gTLD system is further developed and accepted by users, Ericsson intends to increase the role of .ericsson in its overall online strategy.
Ericsson is a global provider of telecommunications equipment and related services to mobile and fixed operators around the world. Ericsson supports networks for operators that serve more than 2 billion subscriptions and manages networks that serve more than 850 million subscribers. With customers in over 180 countries, 40% of all mobile calls are made through Ericsson's system. Ericsson plays a key role in the evolution of telecommunications technology and are using innovation to empower people, businesses and society. Therefore, continuous innovation, increased utility and consumer trust are paramount considerations in all of it business activities.
Since the inception of the current domain name system, business activities conducted on the internet are constantly changing and evolving with increased complexity. The volume of commercial transactions over the internet is constantly growing and bringing benefits of simplicity and lowered transaction costs to businesses and consumers. However, at the same time, criminal activities over the internet including data breach, hacking and phishing activities have also become more sophisticated resulting in loss of consumer confidence beyond mere monetary harm. The .ericsson gTLD will allow for the creation of an authoritative internet space, providing Ericsson with the ability to create relevant domain names for their brands, products services and markets on demand that are difficult to secure under the existing domain names system. This will help minimise user confusion in determining official and authoritative sites of the Ericsson brand.
Ericsson's mission and purpose of the proposed new gTLD share ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest. Ericsson is committed to contribute towards achieving such initiatives in line with ICANN's Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- consumer trust: the .ericsson gTLD registry will be operated in a centralised manner with a restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to Ericsson and its affiliate entities, which will provide added consumer trust that .ericsson domain names are trustworthy. As .ericsson domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under Ericsson's control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .ericsson domain space;
- competition: the proposed new gTLD is not intended to instigate competition and consumer choice among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to such initiatives through its operation focussed on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in .ericsson gTLD will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the proposed new gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting Ericsson's marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with Ericsson. As Ericsson has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under .ericsson domain space, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of the .ericsson gTLD, the projected number of registration is likely to be limited. It is anticipated that a limited number of domain names (5-10) will be registered in the first few years. As the online strategy for .ericsson evolves in the following years, it is likely that the number of registrations will increase. In this endeavour, Ericsson will continue to comply with all operational, technical and policy requirements, as well as maintaining consumer trust and the stability of the internet. Ericsson will keep ICANN reasonably informed of any material developments relating to the .ericsson gTLD, including compliance with the continued operations instrument obligations as set out in Specification 8 of the Registry Agreement.
Ericsson will be able to create relevant domain names for use including product, services names in the second or third level domain names. At a later stage, Ericsson may also use geographic names and Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level in accordance with registration policies and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names as outlined in response to Question 22. The use of geographic names is intended to:
- connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory; and
- comply with required rules and regulations in the national territory.
At a later stage, Ericsson may consider the use of IDNs at the second level to allow internet users to engage with .ericsson in their native language, creating a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity. As the use of the .ericsson gTLD evolves, it is anticipated that the use of IDNs, including additional languages, will increase within the .ericsson domain space.
Ericsson is a well-recognised global brand with its trademarks registered in 113 countries and territories registered in (but not limited to) the following categories: telecommunications, repair and installation services, apparatus for recording, transmission or reproduction of sound or images, scientific and technological services and research and design. Further, Ericsson has an extensive domain name portfolio in both gTLDs and ccTLDs including but not limited to the following spaces:
- gTLDs: .com, .asia, .tel,
- ccTLDS:.co.uk, .ru, .nl, eu, .jp, .qa, .me
Recently, Ericsson was successful in securing sunrise application for the following domain spaces based on existing trademark registration: .eu, .asia, .me, .tel, .qa ×