THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .ASTRIUM gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY. The new .astrium gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which Astrium SAS... Read more
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .ASTRIUM gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY.
The new .astrium gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which Astrium SAS (Astrium) can create and control domain spaces that promote its Astrium brand identity and authenticity together with its space technology services and products. In this regard, the .astrium gTLD will provide an authoritative internet space to be used by Astrium to provide information, services and resources to consumers in a way that promotes trust, simplicity and utility. Second and third level domain names can then be utilised for promotion and marketing purposes, with internet users assured of brand authenticity.
Astrium is one of the top 3 companies in the world renowned for its space technologies. Astrium is the global leader in aerospace, defence and related services and an established leader in space transportation, satellite systems and services. As a wholly owned subsidiary of the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (EADS), Astrium boasts some of the most advanced design, manufacture and test facilities in the space industry. It has unrivalled expertise in the techniques and key technologies required for development and delivery of major space systems. The .astrium brand resonates with many of the most prestigious names in space such as Ariane, the International Space Station, Skynet 5 and Mars Express. Astrium employs over 17,000 people and has 20 offices in the 9 countries the company operates in, such as Germany, US and UK. Astrium commits to offer its customers the best solutions in the market, with unbeatable levels of quality, cost efficiency, schedule adherence and constant innovation. In this regard, continuous innovation is a paramount consideration in Astrium's activities.
Since the inception of the current domain name system, business activities conducted on the internet are constantly changing and evolving with increased complexity. The volume of commercial transactions over the internet is constantly growing and bringing benefits of simplicity and lowered transaction costs to businesses and consumers. However, at the same time, criminal activities over the internet including data breach, hacking and phishing activities have also become more sophisticated resulting in loss of consumer confidence beyond mere monetary harm. The .astrium gTLD will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with Astrium online, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction.
Astrium's mission and purpose of the proposed new gTLD share ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest. Astrium is committed to contribute towards achieving such initiatives in line with ICANN's Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- consumer trust: the .astrium gTLD registry will be operated in a centralised manner with a restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to Astrium, at this stage, which will provide added consumer trust that .astrium domain names are trustworthy. As the .astrium domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under Astrium's control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .astrium domain space;
- competition: the proposed new gTLD is not intended to instigate competition and consumer choice at the level of registration of domain names among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest through its operation focused on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in .astrium gTLD will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the proposed new gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting Astrium's marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with Astrium. As Astrium has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under the .astrium domain space, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of the .astrium gTLD, the projected number of registration is likely to be limited. It is anticipated that a more limited number of 100 domain names will be registered in the first year. However, over the next few years, the number of registrations is likely to increase to up to 250 domain names as Astrium develops and implements new services and marketing campaigns for the proposed .astrium gTLD and create relevant second or third level domain names for its space industry-specific products and services.
As the new .astrium gTLD expands and evolves, Astrium may consider offering the use of personalised second level domain names to its customers at a later date. In this endeavour, Astrium will continue to comply with all operational, technical and policy requirements, as well as maintaining consumer trust and the stability of the internet. Astrium will keep ICANN reasonably informed of any material developments relating to the .astrium gTLD including compliance with the continued operations instrument obligations as set out in Specification 8 of the Registry Agreement.
Astrium does not intend to use geographic names or Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) in the second level initially. However, as the use of the .astrium gTLD evolves, it is anticipated that Astrium may use geographic names and/or IDNs at a later stage. The use of IDNs and/or geographic names are intended to:
- allow internet users to engage with .astrium in their native language, creating a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity;
- localise its websites in the countries in which it operates;
- connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory; and
- comply with required rules and regulations in the relevant territory.
The use of geographic names will be in accordance with the registration policy and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names as outlined in response to Question 22.
Astrium is a well-recognised brand in the space industry with its "Astrium" trademark registered in 13 countries and territories, including Brazil, US, Japan and Switzerland for the following categories, including but not limited to: Machinery (Class 7); Electrical and scientific apparatus (Class 9); Environmental control apparatus (Class 11); Vehicles (Class 12); Transportation and storage (Class 39); Computer, scientific and legal (Class 42).
Astrium has 4 existing domain names with an exact match to the applied-for .astrium string and the "Astrium" trademark in astrium.info, astrium.nl, astrium.biz and astrium.eu.
Further, Astrium also has 12 additional domain names containing the "Astrium" trademark in astrium-eads.net, astrium-space.fr, astrium-space.com, eads-astrium.com, eads-astrium.de, eads-astrium.info, eads-astrium.it, eads-astrium.net, eads-astrium.org, eads-astrium.us, eads-astrium.nl and eads-astrium.co.uk.
Astrium believes that the .astrium gTLD is unlikely to cause confusion with either a generic term or any existing TLDs. Astrium trademarks are a leading global brand with significant reputation in space, defence and related services. Astrium has used the term "Astrium" in conjunction with its space technologies for over 40 years with a strong reputation as a global icon for its space technologies expertise.×