THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .AEG GTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY. The .aeg gTLD will create a new generation gTLD serving the interests of internet users by... Read more
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .AEG GTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY.
The .aeg gTLD will create a new generation gTLD serving the interests of internet users by providing an authoritative internet space where information, services and resources of the brand will be closely controlled by AB Electrolux (Electrolux), who own the AEG trademarks. The majority of the anticipated domain name registrations under the .aeg gTLD will be used in the promotion and communication of the AEG brand and its associated products. In this regard, .aeg aims to promote user confidence through increased trust, convenience and utility. As the use of the .aeg gTLD expands and evolves, Electrolux may consider offering the use of second level domain names to license holders of the AEG brand, allowing them to take part in the new domain structure.
Electrolux is a global leader in household appliances and appliances for professional use, selling more than 40 million products to customers in more than 150 markets every year. In 2004, Electrolux purchased the rights to the AEG brand, now known as AEG-Electrolux. AEG is used as a production line of whitegoods and other household appliances manufactured by Electrolux. The trademark AEG is also licensed to third parties for non-household goods. Electrolux aims to be the world leader and innovator in the area of production of appliances. In this regard, consumer trust and continuous innovation are paramount considerations in all its activities.
Business activities are increasingly conducted over the internet, allowing for greater levels of interaction between businesses and customers. As a result, both businesses and end users benefit from ease of interaction and a wider range of choices with lower transaction costs. However, the development in this arena in the current domain name system has exposed both businesses and consumers to increased criminal activities over the internet, including data breach, hacking and phishing. These sophisticated criminal activities cause reputational damage to businesses as internet users lose consumer confidence and trust with the businesses targeted by such criminal activities. The .aeg gTLD will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with Electrolux and the AEG brand online, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction.
Electrolux's mission and purpose of the proposed new gTLD share ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest. Electrolux is committed to contribute towards achieving such initiatives in line with ICANN's Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- consumer trust: the .aeg gTLD registry will be operated in a centralised manner with restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to Electrolux and its affiliate entities, at this stage, which will provide added consumer trust that .aeg domain names are trustworthy. As .aeg domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under Electrolux's control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .aeg domain space;
- competition: the proposed new gTLD is not intended to instigate competition and consumer choice among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to such initiatives through its operation focussed on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in .aeg gTLD will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the proposed new gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting Electrolux's marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with Electrolux. As Electrolux has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under .aeg domain space, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of the .aeg gTLD, the projected number of registration is likely to be limited. It is anticipated that a more limited number of domain names (up to 100) will be registered in the first year. However, over the next few years, the number of registrations is likely to increase up to 300 domain names as Electrolux develops and implements new services and marketing campaigns.
As the new .aeg gTLD expands and evolves, Electrolux may consider offering second level domain names to license holders of the AEG brand, incorporating them into the new domain structure. It is anticipated that Electrolux will license the rights to use such second level domain name within the .aeg gTLD, which would be regulated by a contract between Electrolux and eligible licence holders of the AEG brand. As Electrolux would remain as the registrant and owner of all domain names under the .aeg gTLD, it is anticipated that Electrolux would maintain control over the .aeg domain space. Electrolux will keep ICANN reasonably informed of any material developments relating to the .aeg gTLD, including compliance with the continued operations instrument obligations as set out in Specification 8 of the Registry Agreement.
Electrolux intends to create relevant domain names for use including product, services or geographic names in the second or third level domain names. In accordance with registration policies and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names as outlined in response to Question 22, Electrolux will use geographic names to localise its websites within the countries in which it operates. The use of geographic names is intended to:
- connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory; and
- comply with required rules and regulations in the national territory.
Electrolux will also utilise Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level of domain names, initially including: Chinese, Farsi, Japanese and Arabic. The use of IDNs will allow internet users to engage with .aeg in their native language, creating a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity. As the use of the .aeg gTLD evolves, it is anticipated that the use of IDNs, including additional languages, will increase within the .aeg domain space.
AEG is a well-recognised global brand with its trademarks registered in 120 countries and territories, including but not limited to registrations in the following categories: engines, electrical generators, turbines, machines, washing machines, spin driers, dishwashers, kitchen machines, grinders, juice extractors, stirring and mixing, vacuum cleaners and tumble driers (Class 7); lighting, heating, steam generating, air conditioning and water pipe apparatus, cookers, stoves, ovens, kettles, deep fryers, toasters, refrigerators, freezers, tea and coffee machines (Class 11).
Electrolux has over 160 domain names with an exact match to the "AEG" brand across various ccTLDs, and 6 exact matches across various gTLDs, with its main sites at: aeg.com, aeg.info, aeg.co.uk, aeg.de, aeg.ru, aeg.pl. Further, Electrolux has an additional 240 ccTLDs and 70 gTLDs containing the word "AEG".
Recently, Electrolux was successful in securing sunrise application for the following domain spaces based on existing trademark registration: .me, .qa, .co.×