.warman Domain Information
Applicant Full Legal Name
Weir Group IP Limited
Applicant is a limited company (ie. corporation)
The Weir Group PLC
Clydesdale Bank Exchange, 20 Waterloo Street
GLASGOW G2 6DB
Applicant is incorporated in Scotland, United Kingdom
Applied for gTLD
Domain Registration Status
Mission/Purpose of Domain Extension
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .WARMAN gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY. The new .warman gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which Weir Group IP... Read more
The new .warman gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which Weir Group IP Limited (WGIP) can create and control domain spaces that promote its Warman brand identity and authenticity. In this regard, the .warman gTLD will be used by WGIP to provide information, services and resources relating to its Warman products to consumers in a way that promotes trust, convenience and utility. The .warman gTLD will provide an authoritative internet space for WGIP, its affiliates and partners that are associated with the brand to focus on its customers' needs through innovation, collaboration and global capability. Second and third level domains can then be utilised for marketing and promotional purposes, with internet users assured of brand authenticity.
Established in 1871, Weir is a leading engineering solutions business based in Scotland. Weir delivers superior products and services to its global consumers in 3 key sectors - minerals, oil & gas and power - through its 3 divisions.
1. Weir Minerals is the global leader in the provision of slurry handling equipment and associated spare parts for abrasive high-wear applications used in mining, and niche oil sands and flue gas desulphurisation markets. Its worldwide famous product brands, include Warman, which can be found in the mine sites of major players. Warman centrifugal slurry pumps are the world's most comprehensive range of centrifugal slurry pumps for use in mining, chemical and industrial applications. The Warman range also includes axial flow pumps for applications in the salt industry.
2. Weir Oil & Gas' capabilities cover both upstream and downstream requirements from initial drilling and production right through to transportation and refining.
3. Weir Power & Industrial has an established reputation for quality engineering. The division has expertise in valves, pumps, turbines and engineered services that enable Weir to offer flow control solutions that enhance efficiencies and reduce downtime in its customers' facilities.
Weir operates in over 70 countries employing over 14,000 people across around 40 manufacturing facilities and over 100 service facilities worldwide. As one of the fastest growing engineering companies in the FTSE 100 in the London Stock Exchange, Weir has a clearly defined strategy to build market presence and deliver outstanding products and services from a platform of operational excellence and customer focus. Weir prioritises customer focus and customer relationships through its 3 principal drivers of growth - innovative action, a collaborative mindset and global capability. In this regard, continuous innovation, collaboration and global capability are paramount considerations in Weir's activities and its application for the .warman gTLD. WGIP has made separate applications for .weir and .spm to complement the .warman gTLD in promoting Weir's products and services and its principal drivers of growth.
Business activities are increasingly conducted over the internet, allowing for greater levels of interaction between businesses and customers. As a result, both businesses and end users benefit from ease of interaction and a wider range of choices with lower transaction costs. However, the development in this arena in the current domain name system has exposed both businesses and consumers to increased criminal activities over the internet, including data breach, hacking and phishing. These sophisticated criminal activities cause reputational damage to businesses as internet users lose consumer confidence and trust with the businesses targeted by such criminal activities. The .warman gTLD will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with Weir online, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction.
WGIP's mission and purpose of the proposed new gTLD share ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest. WGIP is committed to contribute towards achieving such initiatives in line with ICANN's Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- consumer trust: the .warman gTLD registry will be operated in a centralised manner with a restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to WGIP and its affiliate entities, at this stage, which will provide added consumer trust that .warman domain names are trustworthy. As .warman domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under WGIP's control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .warman domain space;
- competition: the proposed new gTLD is not intended to instigate competition and consumer choice at the level of registration of domain names among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest through its operation focused on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in the .warman gTLD will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the proposed new gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting Weir's marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with Weir. As WGIP has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under the .warman domain space, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of the .warman gTLD, the projected number of registration is likely to be limited. It is anticipated that a more limited number of about 2 to 4 domain names will be registered in the first few years. However, the number of registrations is likely to increase as Weir develops and implements new services and marketing campaigns such as creating product and service related domain names in the second or third level.
WGIP's Warman brand is a well-recognised global brand in the engineering industry with its "Warman" trademark registered by its affiliates, Weir Minerals Australia Ltd and Warman International Limited, in over 120 countries and territories including Australia, EU, China and Brazil for the categories such as: Machinery (Class 7); Electrical and scientific apparatus (Class 9) and Building construction and repair (Class 37). Weir Minerals Australia Ltd also has pending applications for the "Warman" trademark in 9 countries and territories such as Cambodia, Laos and Qatar for Machinery (Class 7).
Further, WGIP has 7 existing domain names with an exact match to the applied-for .warman string and the "Warman" trademark in the following spaces such as warman.biz, warman.info, warman.com, warman.net.au and warman.co.uk. WGIP also holds 3 existing domain names containing the .warman gTLD in weirwarman.com, warman-ash.biz and warman-ash.com.
WGIP believes that the .warman gTLD is unlikely to cause confusion with either a generic term or any existing TLDs. The Warman trademarks are a leading global brand with significant reputation in the engineering industry. Weir's Warman products are used widely in mining, chemical and industrial applications as well as applications in the salt industry. As such, the Warman brand is a well-established engineering brand to Weir's global customers.×