.rockwool Domain Information
Applicant Full Legal Name
Rockwool International A/S
Hedehusene DK -2640
Applied for gTLD
Domain Registration Status
Mission/Purpose of Domain Extension
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .ROCKWOOL gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY. The new .rockwool gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which Rockwool... Read more
The new .rockwool gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which Rockwool International A/S (Rockwool) can create and control domain spaces that promote its brand identity and authenticity. In this regard, the .rockwool gTLD will provide an authoritative internet space for Rockwool to provide information, services and resources to consumers in a way that promotes trust, convenience and utility. Second and third level domains can then be utilised for marketing and sales supporting purposes, with internet users assured of brand authenticity.
Rockwool is the world's leading supplier of innovative products and systems based on stone wool. Rockwool is also amongst the global leaders within the insulation industry. Together with its other building-related products such as acoustic ceilings, cladding boards and consultancy business, Rockwool ensures energy efficient and fire-safe buildings with good acoustics and a comfortable indoor climate. Rockwool also creates green solutions for the horticultural industry, inventive special fibres for industrial use, effective insulation for the process industry and marine and offshore as well as noise and vibration systems for modern infrastructure. Established in 1937, Rockwool is listed on the NASDAQ OMX Nordic Exchange and generated sales of over DKK 13 billion in 2011. Headquartered in Denmark, Rockwool has over 9,300 employees in more than 40 countries to cater to its worldwide customers. Rockwool's operations have a main presence in Europe with plans to expand production, sales and service activities in North and South America and Asia. Together with a broad network of business partners, Rockwool ensures that its products and services reach its worldwide customers. In this regard, consumer trust and continuous innovation are paramount considerations in all its activities.
Since the inception of the current domain name system, business activities conducted on the internet are constantly changing and evolving with increased complexity. The volume of commercial transactions over the internet is constantly growing and bringing benefits of simplicity and lowered transaction costs to businesses and consumers. However, at the same time, criminal activities over the internet including data breach, hacking and phishing activities have also become more sophisticated resulting in loss of consumer confidence beyond mere monetary harm. The .rockwool gTLD will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with Rockwool online, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction.
Rockwool's mission and purpose of the proposed new gTLD share ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest. Rockwool is committed to contribute towards achieving such initiatives in line with ICANN's Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- consumer trust: the .rockwool gTLD registry will be operated in a centralised manner with a restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to Rockwool and its affiliate entities, at this stage, which will provide added consumer trust that .rockwool domain names are trustworthy. As .rockwool domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under Rockwool's control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .rockwool domain space;
- competition: the proposed new gTLD is not intended to instigate competition and consumer choice at the level of registration of domain names among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest through its operation focused on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in the .rockwool gTLD will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the proposed new gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting Rockwool's marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with Rockwool. As Rockwool has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under the .rockwool domain space, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of the .rockwool gTLD, the projected number of registration is likely to be limited. It is anticipated that domain names between 100 and 250 will be registered in the first year. However, over the next few years, the number of registrations is likely to increase to about 500 domain names as Rockwool develops and implements new services and marketing campaigns.
As the new .rockwool gTLD expands and evolves, Rockwool will continue to comply with all operational, technical and policy requirements, as well as maintaining consumer trust and the stability of the internet. Rockwool will keep ICANN reasonably informed of any material developments relating to the .rockwool gTLD including compliance with the continued operations instrument obligations as set out in Specification 8 of the Registry Agreement.
Rockwool intends to create relevant domain names for use including product, services or geographic names in the second or third level domain names. In accordance with registration policy and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names as outlined in response to Question 22, Rockwool will use geographic names to localise its websites in the countries in which the ROCKWOOL brand operates such as Germany, France, the Netherlands and Poland. The use of geographic names is intended to:
- establish Rockwool's relationships with the countries where Rockwool has factories, offices or subsidiaries in;
- connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory; and
- comply with required rules and regulations in the national territory.
Rockwool will also utilise Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level, initially in Danish, Cyrillic, Chinese and Thai languages. The use of IDNs will allow internet users to engage with .rockwool in their native language, creating a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity. As the use of the .rockwool gTLD evolves, it is anticipated that the use of IDNs, including additional languages, will increase within the .rockwool domain space.
ROCKWOOL is a well-recognised global brand with its ROCKWOOL trademark registered in 53 countries and territories for categories such as Insulants of mineral wool against heat, cold, fire and sound including for acoustic regulation (Class 17) and Building materials of mineral wood (Class 19). Further, Rockwool's wholly-owned subsidiaries hold approximately 25 registered trademarks in the ROCKWOOL brand in the same classes. Rockwool also holds an additional 45 pending and registered trademarks associated to the ROCKWOOL brand in the same categories. Additionally, Rockwool holds about 530 pending and registered trademarks worldwide containing the element "Rock", which is an integral part of the ROCKWOOL brand, for the same or similar categories. These trademarks include but are not limited to ROCKLIT, ROCKLINK, ROCKPANEL, ROCKFON and ROCKGUARD.
Rockwool has about 30 existing domain names with an exact match to the applied-for .rockwool string and its ROCKWOOL trademark in spaces such as rockwool.com, rockwool.org, rockwool.asia and rockwool.eu. Rockwool has also been successful in blocking its ROCKWOOL trademark from the .xxx domain space.