THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .MACYS gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY. The new .macys gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which Macy's Inc (Macy's)... Read more
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .MACYS gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY.
The new .macys gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which Macy's Inc (Macy's) can create and control domain spaces that promote its Macy's brand identity and authenticity. In this regard,.macys will be used by Macy's to provide information, services and resources for personalised marketing purposes to consumers in a way that promotes trust, convenience and utility, with internet users assured of brand authenticity. The .macys gTLD will provide an authoritative internet space for Macy's and, potentially, its affiliates and partners that are associated with the brand.
Established in 1858, Macy's is one of the premier retailers in US with its Macy's and Bloomingdale's brands. As of January 2011, the Macy's brand operates about 850 department stores, outlet stores and furniture galleries operating coast-to-coast and online at macys.com. Macy's employs over 150,000 employees across its stores across 45 States in US, Guam and Puerto Rico. Macy's is also listed on the New York Stock Exchange and, as of end of FY2010, Macy's had a sales revenue of USD25 billion. Macy's embraces its customers and strives to provide an experience that transcends ordinary shopping. Macy's believes the key to success is to integrate its stores with the internet, and mobile technology. Thus, Macy's strives to engage its customers in stores, online and via mobile devices by investing and tailoring the necessary talent, technology and marketing to its customers' needs. Macy's 4 strategic priorities include improving overall shopping environment and enhancing customer engagement, loyalty and traffic through more brand-focused and effective marketing. In this regard, consumer trust and continuous innovation are paramount considerations in Macy's application for .macys and its activities. These objectives will be further complemented by Macy's separate application for .bloomingdales to strengthen Macy's online brand presence while distinguishing each brand's identity and customer focus.
Business activities are increasingly conducted over the internet, allowing for greater levels of interaction between businesses and customers. As a result, both businesses and end users benefit from ease of interaction and a wider range of choices with lower transaction costs. However, the development in this arena in the current domain name system has exposed both businesses and consumers to increased criminal activities over the internet, including data breach, hacking and phishing. These sophisticated criminal activities cause reputational damage to businesses as internet users lose consumer confidence and trust with the businesses targeted by such criminal activities. The .macys gTLD will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with Macy's online, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction.
Macy's mission and purpose of the proposed gTLD share ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest. Macy's is committed to contribute towards achieving such initiatives in line with ICANN's Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- consumer trust: the .macys gTLD registry will be operated in a centralised manner with a restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to Macy's, at this stage, which will provide added consumer trust that the .macys domain names are trustworthy. As the .macys domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under Macy's control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .macys domain space;
- competition: the proposed gTLD is not intended to instigate competition and consumer choice at the level of registration of domain names among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest through its operation focused on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in .macys will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the proposed gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting Macy's marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with Macy's. As Macy's has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under the .macys domain space, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of .macys, it is anticipated that between 200 and 400 domain names will be registered in the first 3 years. However, the number of registrations is likely to increase as Macy's develops and implements new services and marketing campaigns or create product and service related domain names.
As .macys expands and evolves, Macy's may consider offering the use of personalised second level domain names for its customers, affiliates and partners associated with the Macy's brand at a later date while retaining exclusive control over the use of such domain names. In this endeavour, Macy's will continue to comply with all operational, technical and policy requirements, as well as maintaining consumer trust and the stability of the internet. Macy's will keep ICANN reasonably informed of any material developments relating to .macys including compliance with the continued operations instrument obligations as set out in Specification 8 of the Registry Agreement.
Macy's intends to create relevant domain names for its products and services in the second or third level domain names. At this stage, Macy's does not intend to use geographic names or Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level. However, as the use of the .macys gTLD evolves, Macy's may use geographic names and/or IDNs within the .macys domain space. The use of geographic names and/or IDNs are intended to:
- allow internet users to engage with .macys in their native language, creating a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity;
- localise its websites to connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory; and
- comply with required rules and regulations in the relevant territory.
The use of geographic names will be in accordance with registration policy and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names as outlined in response to Question 22.
Macy's is a well-recognised global brand, particularly in the US as a premier retailer, with its "Macy's" trademark registered in about 150 countries and territories for the following classes, including but not limited to, Jewelry (14); Leather goods (18); Clothing (25).
Macy's has an extensive domain name portfolio including 25 existing domain names with an exact match to the applied-for .macys string and the "Macy's" trademark in spaces such as macys.org, macys.com, macys.hk and macys.us. Macy's also has over 430 domain names containing "Macy's" in various domain spaces including macysaccount.com, macyscommunity.org, macysbirthday.net and macysbridalregistry.us. Recently, Macy's was successful in securing sunrise application for macys.co and macys.xxx based on existing trademark registration.
Macy's believes that the .macys gTLD is unlikely to cause confusion with either a generic term or any existing TLDs. Macy's trademarks are leading and iconic global brands, with its unique identity and customer focus. With significant reputation in the fashion retail industry, Macy's has used the term Macy's in conjunction with its fashion businesses for over 150 years. As such, the Macy's brand is well known for its association to fashion and retail services.×