Lotte Holdings Co., Ltd.
The mission and purpose of the new restricted .lotte gTLD is to benefit internet users by ensuring increased trust, confidence and a sense of security through the elimination of user confusion and the assurance of brand authenticity. The .lotte gTLD will be a new generation gTLD serving the... Read more
The mission and purpose of the new restricted .lotte gTLD is to benefit internet users by ensuring increased trust, confidence and a sense of security through the elimination of user confusion and the assurance of brand authenticity.
The .lotte gTLD will be a new generation gTLD serving the interests of end users by providing an authoritative Internet space where information, services and resources of Lotte Holdings Co., Ltd. (Lotte) and its brand will be closely controlled by Lotte. The majority of the anticipated domain name registrations in the .lotte gTLD will be used in the promotion and communication of the Lotte brand and its associated products and services. It is anticipated that the primary use of .lotte domain names will be used for communication and marketing purposes, with internet users assured of brand authenticity.
Lotte is a pure holding company established in 2007 that retains two groups of subsidiaries (Lotte Group) which conduct businesses mainly in Japan and Korea. Lotte Group develops various high quality products and services in the five main business areas: Food production/sales, Distribution, Sightseeing service, Heavy chemical/construction and Finance/investment. The total sales volume of two groups reaches around 3,669 billion yen.
Lotte has topped the list for Company Recognition in the Nikkei BP Consulting ʺCompany Message Survey 2011ʺ for the 10th consecutive year. The survey found 80% of consumers recognized Lotte and its tagline ʺthe sweetheart of your mouthʺ. This highlights the significant reputation and awareness for the Lotte brand within Japan. Similarly, in Korea the Lotte brand has significant reputation with the Fair Trade Commission of the Republic of Korea ranking Lotte as the 5th
largest business conglomerate. The strong reputation in Japan and Korea is supported by global business development with Lotte continuing to grow throughout Asia, Europe, Russia, North and South America, and the Middle and Near East and is continually pursuing further business expansion at a global level.
The .lotte gTLD intends to support Lotteʹs core business products and services by consolidating its online presence and the Lotte brand at a global level, to enhance the brand value, ensure brand authenticity by minimizing the risk of malicious conduct and improve user experience within .lotte domain space. Lotteʹs corporate philosophy is ʺThinking from customerʹs perspectiveʺ. In this regard, safety, trust, innovation and accessibility are paramount considerations in all of the business activities of Lotte.
Business activities are increasingly through the internet, allowing for greater levels of interaction between company and customers. As a result, both company and end users benefit from ease of interaction and a wider range of choices with lower transaction costs. However, the development in this arena in the current domain name system has exposed both businesses and consumers to increased criminal activities over the internet, including data breach, hacking and phishing. These sophisticated criminal activities cause reputational damage to businesses as internet users lose consumer confidence and trust with the businesses targeted by such criminal activities. The .lotte gTLD will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with Lotte online, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction.
Lotteʹs mission and purpose of the proposed new gTLD share ICANNʹs initiatives to promote public interest. Lotte is committed to contribute towards achieving such initiatives in line with ICANNʹs Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- consumer trust: the .lotte gTLD registry will be operated in a centralized manner with a restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to Lotte and its affiliate entities, which will provide added consumer trust that .lotte domain names are trustworthy. As .lotte domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under Lotteʹs control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .lotte domain space;
- competition: the proposed new gTLD is not intended to instigate competition and consumer choice among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to ICANNʹs initiatives to promote public interest through its operation focused on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in .lotte gTLD will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the proposed new gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting Lotteʹs marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with Lotte. As Lotte has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under .lotte domain space, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of the .lotte gTLD, the projected number of registration is likely to be limited. It is anticipated that a more limited number of domain names (10-20) will be registered in the first year. However, over the next few years, the number of registrations is likely to increase up to about 100 domain names as new services and marketing campaigns are developed and implemented by Lotte.
As the .lotte gTLD expands and evolves, Lotte may consider offering the use of second level domain names to its licensed dealers and other eligible business partners at a later date. In this endeavor, Lotte will continue to comply with all operational, technical and policy requirements, as well as maintaining consumer trust and the stability of the internet. Lotte will keep ICANN reasonably informed of any material developments relating to .lotte gTLD including compliance with the continued operations instrument obligations as set out in Specification 8 of the Registry Agreement.
Lotte intends to create relevant domain names for use including company name, product, services or geographic names in the second or third level domain names. In accordance with registration policies and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names as outlined in response to Question 22, Lotte will use geographic names to localize its websites in the countries in which it operates. The use of geographic names is intended to:
- connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory; and
- comply with required rules and regulations in the national territory.
Lotte does not intend to utilize Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level initially. However, as the use of the .lotte gTLD evolves, it is anticipated that Lotte may utilize IDNs within the .lotte domain space to allow internet users to engage with .lotte in their native language, creating a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity.
Lotte is a well-recognized global brand with a total of 120 trademarks registered in 97 countries and territories worldwide for the following classes: 30 (covers Lotteʹs core business of Food), 32 (beverages) and 37 (construction).
Further, Lotte has extensive portfolio of registered domain names in both generic Top Level Domains (gTLDs) and country-code Top Level Domains (ccTLDs) including:
lotte.co.jp, lotte.jp, lotte.kr, lotte.com, lotte.info×