Kerry Trading Co. Limited
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .KERRYPROPERTIES gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST, CONFIDENCE AND UTILITY THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY. The new .kerryproperties gTLD will operate as a restricted registry,... Read more
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .KERRYPROPERTIES gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST, CONFIDENCE AND UTILITY THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY.
The new .kerryproperties gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which Kerry Trading Co. Limited (Kerry Trading) can create and control domain spaces that promote the brand identity and authenticity of Kerry Properties Limited (Kerry Properties). In this regard, the .kerryproperties gTLD will be used by Kerry Trading as an authoritative internet space to provide information, services and resources to customers of Kerry Properties in a way that promotes trust, convenience and utility. Kerry Trading, its affiliates and partners that are associated with Kerry Properties and its services will utilise second and third level domain names for marketing and customer engagement purposes to promote the services and products of Kerry Properties, with internet users assured of brand authenticity.
The applicant, Kerry Trading is established and based in Hong Kong and operates as a wholly-owned subsidiary to Kerry Group Limited (Kerry Group). Kerry Group engages in the hotel, real estate, media, communications, logistics and industrial manufacturing businesses throughout the world. Kerry Group is based in Hong Kong with major operations in Hong Kong, China and Southeast Asia. The name "Kerry" has since become identified with the brand's operations in Asia for almost 40 years.
Kerry Properties, a subsidiary to Kerry Group and an affiliate to Kerry Trading, was established in 1978. Kerry Properties is listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and is one of Hong Kong's largest property investment and development companies, with a portfolio of assets spanning Hong Kong and China. Kerry Properties and its wholly-owned subsidiary (Kerry Logistics Network Limited) are principally engaged in (i) property development, investment and management in Hong Kong, China and the Asia Pacific region; (ii) logistics, freight, warehouse ownership and operations; (iii) hotel ownership in Hong Kong and China. Kerry Properties and its subsidiaries employ around 3,600 employees throughout their 46 offices across the Asia Pacific region.
Since the inception of the current domain name system, business activities conducted on the internet are constantly changing and evolving with increased complexity. The volume of commercial transactions over the internet is constantly growing and bringing benefits of simplicity and lowered transaction costs to businesses and consumers. However, at the same time, criminal activities over the internet including data breach, hacking and phishing activities have also become more sophisticated resulting in loss of consumer confidence beyond mere monetary harm. .kerryproperties will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with Kerry Trading and Kerry Properties online, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction.
Kerry Trading's mission and purpose of the gTLD share ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest. Kerry Trading is committed to contribute towards achieving such initiatives in line with ICANN's Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- consumer trust: .kerryproperties registry will be operated in a centralised manner with a restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to Kerry Trading and its affiliates, partners and associated companies in connection with the operation of Kerry Properties, at this stage, which will provide added consumer trust that .kerryproperties domain names are trustworthy. As .kerryproperties domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under Kerry Trading's control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within .kerryproperties;
- competition: .kerryproperties is not intended to instigate competition and consumer choice at the level of registration of domain names among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest through its operation focused on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in .kerryproperties will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting Kerry Trading's marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand relevant to promoting Kerry Properties. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with Kerry Trading and Kerry Properties online. As Kerry Trading has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under the .kerryproperties domain space, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of .kerryproperties, the projected number of registration is likely to be limited. It is anticipated that around 25 domain names will be registered in the first year. However, over the next few years, the number of registrations is likely to increase up to 60 domain names as Kerry Trading develops and implements new services and marketing campaigns.
As .kerryproperties expands and evolves, Kerry Trading intends to offer the use of second level domain names to customers of Kerry Properties and business partners. Kerry Trading will continue to comply with all operational, technical and policy requirements, as well as maintaining consumer trust and the stability of the internet. Kerry Trading will keep ICANN reasonably informed of any material developments relating to the .kerryproperties gTLD including compliance with the continued operations instrument obligations as set out in Specification 8 of the Registry Agreement.
Kerry Trading intends to create relevant domain names for use including product, services or geographic names in the second or third level domain names. In accordance with registration policy and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names as outlined in response to Question 22, Kerry Trading will use geographic names to localise its websites in the countries and regions in which Kerry Properties operates. The use of geographic names is intended to:
- connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory; and
- comply with required rules and regulations in the national territory.
Kerry Trading does not intend to utilise Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level initially. However, as the use of .kerryproperties evolves, it is anticipated that Kerry Trading may utilise IDNs to allow internet users to engage with .kerryproperties in their native language, creating a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity.
Kerry Trading is part of a well-recognised global brand with its "KERRY" trademark registered in 26 countries and territories and its trademark "嘉里" ("KERRY" in Chinese language) registered in 14 countries and territories by Kuok Registrations Ltd, an affiliate of Kerry Trading, for the following classes including but not limited to: 19 (Non-metallic building materials); 35 (Advertising and business management); 36 (Insurance and financial); 37 (Building construction and repair); 39 (Transportation and storage); 41 (Leisure centre services & cinema services); 42 (Hotel services).
Kerry Trading already has kerryprops.com, kerryprops.hk, kerryhkprops.com and kerryproperties.com.hk relating to the applied-for string .kerryproperties.
Additionally, Kerry Trading has 3 existing domain names containing the Chinese (traditional and simplified) equivalent to the applied-for string in 嘉里建設‧公司 (IDN .com), 嘉里建设‧公司 (IDN .com) and 嘉里建設‧中國 (IDN .cn).×