Plot No. 44 & 97A
Electronics City, Hosur Road
Bangalore 560 100
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .INFOSYS gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY. The .infosys gTLD will create a new generation gTLD serving the interests of end users... Read more
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .INFOSYS gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY.
The .infosys gTLD will create a new generation gTLD serving the interests of end users by providing an authoritative Internet space where information, services and resources of the Infosys brand, its affiliates and partners that are associated with the Infosys brand will be closely controlled by Infosys Limited (Infosys). The majority of the anticipated domain name registrations in the .infosys gTLD will be used in the promotion and communication of the Infosys brand and business and technology consulting services. A subset of domain names under the .infosys gTLD has the potential to be created and used for delivery of Infosys services, products and platforms, as well as for communication and marketing purposes, with internet users assured of brand authenticity.
Infosys was established in 1981 and is today a global leader in "next generation" IT and consulting. Infosys is listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NASDAQ:INFY) and had revenues of USD 6.825 billion last financial year. Infosys offers business and technology consulting, application services, systems integration, product engineering, custom software development, maintenance, re-engineering, independent testing and validation services, IT infrastructure services and business process outsourcing, products and platforms. Infosys operates globally, with 64 offices and 68 development centres located worldwide in countries including US, India, China, Australia, Japan, the Middle East, UK, Germany, France, Switzerland, Netherlands, Poland and Canada. Infosys aims to achieve its objectives in an environment of fairness, honesty and courtesy towards its clients, employees, vendors and society at large. In this regard, consumer trust and continuous innovation are paramount considerations in all its activities.
Since the inception of the current domain name system, business activities conducted on the internet are constantly changing and evolving with increased complexity. The volume of commercial transactions over the internet is growing and bringing benefits of simplicity and lowered transaction costs to businesses and consumers. However, at the same time, criminal activities over the internet including data breach, hacking and phishing activities have also become more sophisticated resulting in loss of consumer confidence beyond mere monetary harm. The .infosys gTLD will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with Infosys online, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction.
Infosys' mission and purpose of the proposed new gTLD shares ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest. Infosys is committed to contribute towards achieving such initiatives in line with ICANN's Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- Consumer trust: the .infosys gTLD registry will be operated in a centralised manner with a restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to Infosys and its affiliate entities, which will provide added consumer trust that .infosys domain names are trustworthy. As .infosys domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under Infosys' control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .infosys domain space;
- competition: the proposed new gTLD is not intended to instigate competition and consumer choice at the level of registration of domain names among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest through its operation focused on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in the .infosys gTLD will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the proposed new gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting Infosys' marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with Infosys. As Infosys has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under .infosys domain space, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of the .infosys gTLD, the projected number of registration is likely to be limited. It is anticipated that a more limited number of domain names (100) will be registered in the first year. However, over the next few years, the number of registrations is likely to increase up to 1000 domain names as Infosys develops and implements new services and marketing campaigns. Infosys will keep ICANN reasonably informed of any material developments relating to .infosys gTLD including compliance with the continued operations instrument obligations as set out in Specification 8 of the Registry Agreement.
Infosys intends to create relevant domain names for use including product, services and geographic names in the second or third level domain names. In accordance with registration policy and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names as outlined in response to Question 22, Infosys will use geographic names to localise its websites for the countries in which it currently operates. This includes Brazil, Canada, Mexico, US, Australia, China, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Norway, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Netherlands, UK, Mauritius, South Africa and United Arab Emirates. The use of geographic names is intended to:
- connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory; and
- comply with required rules and regulations in the national territory.
Infosys will also utilise Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level, including: German, French, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, Portuguese and Russian. The use of IDNs will allow internet users to engage with .infosys in their native language, creating a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity. As the use of the .infosys gTLD evolves, it is anticipated that the use of IDNs, including additional languages, will increase within the .infosys domain space.
Infosys is a well-recognised global brand with 41 registrations in India for the "Infosys" trademark. These trademarks cover a range of business, information management, consulting and technology products and services including but not limited to the following classes: 9 (computer software), 16 (computer media), 35 (technical consultancy for business and management),42 (maintaining computer programs; computer systems analysis services).
Infosys has an extensive domain name portfolio with over 190 domain names across various gTLDs and country-code TLDs (ccTLDs) that contain the "Infosys" trademark.
Further, Infosys has existing domain names with an exact match to the "Infosys" trademark and the applied-for .infosys gTLD in the domain spaces including:
- gTLDs: infosys.asia, infosys.com, infosys.mobi, infosys.net, infosys.org
- ccTLDs: infosys.co.nz, infosys.com.au, infosys.com.ru, infosys.dk, infosys.hk, infosys.sg, infosys.tw.
Recently, Infosys was successful in a securing sunrise application for the .xxx domain space, based on existing trademark registration.×