.free Domain Name Information
.free is in pre-registration, meaning it has not yet launched for general availability. You may pre-regsiter for free right now, but availability is not guaranteed.
- Type gTLD
- Renewal Grace Period None. It must be renewed by it's expiration.
- Redemption Period 30 days
- Trustee/Proxy Service No
- Individuals can register Yes
- Businesses can register Yes
- Trademark Sunrise .free – is a special period that provides current brand and trademarks owners the opportunity to secure their trademarks under the new top level domain. The fee for registration during this period is usually higher as trademarks will need to be verified and cleared.
- Landrush – a short registration period for entities and individuals who do not own a trademark in the name they wish to register. It is intended for highly sought-after generic .free domains and are usually priced significantly higher than registering during general availability. If more than one landrush application is received for the same .free domain, the .free domain will usually go to auction in which the applicants will have the chance to bid for the domain.
- General Availability – This phase is open to the general public and is a first-come, first served launch. When a .free domain is registered, it is officially reserved and registered in real time.
- Premium or Reserved Names – A registry can and will withhold .free domains names from open registrations that are considered premium domains, which are names that are highly desired or unique. These .free domains with this premium status will eventually be auctioned to the highest bidder.
.free is one of the new proposed generic top-level domains (gTLD). It is a unique in that the dotFree Group s.r.o plans to allow anyone in the world to register this domain at no cost, hence the name .free. They believe that domains names should be free to anyone on the planet who has access to the Internet with no restrictions or ads. According to the dotFree Group's website .free is the independent top-level domain for the "second billion" of Internet users worldwide. Sites in the .free domain will improve information transmitting and interaction between people all over the world. It will also encourage innovation and development. .free mission is to provide every individual, company and organization an identity on the Internet at no cost.
When the a gTLD .free is approved, ICANN will set forth rules and guidelines as well as a launch sequence which dictates who can register a new gTLD .free, when and under what conditions. The expected launch sequence will be: