Club Méditerranée S.A.
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .CLUBMED gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY. The new .clubmed gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which Club... Read more
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .CLUBMED gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY.
The new .clubmed gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which Club Méditerranée S.A. (Club Med) can create and control domain spaces that promote its brand identity and authenticity. In this regard, the .clubmed gTLD will be used by Club Med to provide information, services and resources relating to its upscale holidays to consumers, tourists and guests in a way that promotes trust, convenience and utility. The .clubmed gTLD will provide an authoritative internet space for Club Med and, potentially, its affiliates and partners that are associated with the Club Med brand. Second and third level domains can then be utilised for marketing purposes, with internet users assured of brand authenticity.
Club Med, established in France in 1950, is a world specialist in upscale, friendly, multicultural and all-inclusive holidays. Club Med's purpose is to be involved in the creation and/or operation, directly or indirectly, of all activities associated to hotels, holidays, leisure and entertainment. With around 80 resorts and 75 villages across 25 destinations such as Greece, Switzerland and the Maldives, Club Med is able to cater luxury vacations for different occasions such as honeymoons for couples and family beach vacations. As of 31 October 2011, Club Med employs over 10,000 staff members of 100 different nationalities to cater to provide its holiday services to its 1.2 million clients. Club Med also operates in about 40 countries such as Portugal, Australia, US, UK and Thailand. Club Med continues to grow on 5 continents to strengthen its brand identity with its upscale international clientele. Club Med is also listed on the New York Stock Exchange, Euronext and generated a revenue of over €1.4 billion as of 31 October 2011. Driven by the changing expectations of its guests, Club Med is constantly innovating to develop what it has to offer - locations of natural beauty, wealth of activities, comfortable settings and tailored services. In this regard, consumer trust and continuous innovation are paramount considerations in all its activities.
Since the inception of the current domain name system, business activities conducted on the internet are constantly changing and evolving with increased complexity. The volume of commercial transactions over the internet is constantly growing and bringing benefits of simplicity and lowered transaction costs to businesses and consumers. However, at the same time, criminal activities over the internet including data breach, hacking and phishing activities have also become more sophisticated resulting in loss of consumer confidence beyond mere monetary harm. The .clubmed gTLD will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with Club Med online, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction.
Club Med's mission and purpose of the proposed new gTLD share ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest. Club Med is committed to contribute towards achieving such initiatives in line with ICANN's Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- consumer trust: the .clubmed gTLD registry will be operated in a centralised manner with a restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to Club Med, at this stage, which will provide added consumer trust that .clubmed domain names are trustworthy. As .clubmed domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under Club Med's control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .clubmed domain space;
- competition: the proposed new gTLD is not intended to instigate competition and consumer choice at the level of registration of domain names among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest through its operation focused on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in the .clubmed gTLD will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the proposed new gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting Club Med's marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with Club Med. As Club Med has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under the .clubmed domain space, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of the .clubmed gTLD, the projected number of registration is likely to be limited. It is anticipated that a more limited number of 5 domain names will be registered in the first year. However, over the next few years, the number of registrations is likely to increase up to 500 domain names as Club Med develops and implements new services and marketing campaigns with .clubmed.
At this stage, Club Med intends to restrict the use of the .clubmed gTLD to its own exclusive use. However, as .clubmed expands and evolves, Club Med may consider offering the use of second level domain names to its affiliates at a later date. In this endeavour, Club Med will continue to comply with all operational, technical and policy requirements, as well as maintaining consumer trust and the stability of the internet. Club Med will keep ICANN reasonably informed of any material developments relating to the .clubmed gTLD including compliance with the continued operations instrument obligations as set out in Specification 8 of the Registry Agreement.
Club Med intends to create relevant domain names for use including product, services or geographic names in the second or third level domain names. In accordance with registration policy and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names as outlined in response to Question 22, Club Med will use geographic names to localise its websites in the major commercial countries in which it operates, such as US, UK and Vietnam. It is anticipated that the use of geographic names will expand as Club Med expands its operations. The use of geographic names is intended to:
- connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory; and
- comply with required rules and regulations in the national territory.
Club Med will also utilise Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level, initially including Chinese, Japanese, Hindi and Korean. The use of IDNs will allow internet users to engage with .clubmed in their native language, creating a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity. As the use of the .clubmed gTLD evolves, it is anticipated that the use of IDNs, including additional languages, will increase within the .clubmed domain space.
Club Med is a well-recognised global brand with its "Club Med" trademarks registered in 119 countries and territories including EU, US, Hong Kong and India for the categories such as Vehicles (Class12); Transportation and storage (Class 39); Hotels and restaurants (Class 43); Medical, beauty & agricultural (Class 44) and Personal (Class 45).
Further, Club Med has an extensive domain name portfolio including 72 existing domain names with an exact match to the applied-for .clubmed string and its "Club Med" trademarks in spaces such as clubmed.asia, clubmed.cn, clubmed.eu, clubmed.fr, clubmed.com and clubmed.net. Club Med also has over 250 existing domain names containing the term "Club Med" in spaces such as clubmed-business.co.uk, clubmed-chalets.com, clubmed-villas.ch, clubmedjobs.jp, club-med.biz, club-med.se, club-med.es and club-med.com.sg.×