.changiairport Domain Information
Applicant Full Legal Name
Changi Airport Group (Singapore) Pte. Ltd
60 Airport Boulevard, #046-019
Changi Airport Terminal 2
Singapore Singapore 819643
Applied for gTLD
Domain Registration Status
Mission/Purpose of Domain Extension
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .CHANGIAIRPORT gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST, CONFIDENCE AND USER EXPERIENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY. The new .changiairport gTLD will operate as a restricted... Read more
The new .changiairport gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which Changi Airport Group (Singapore) Pte Ltd (CAG) can create and control domain spaces that promote its brand identity and authenticity. In this regard, .changiairport will be used by CAG, its affiliates and partners that are associated with the brand as an authoritative internet space to provide timely information, services and resources relating to its operation of Changi Airport to consumers and travellers in a way that promotes trust, convenience and efficiency. Acknowledging that time is of the essence amongst travellers, the proposed .changiairport gTLD will provide easy and quick access to relevant information. Second and third level domain names can then be utilised for marketing and communication purposes, with internet users assured of the accuracy, reliability and authenticity of the information presented online.
CAG is responsible for all aspects of the daily operations and management of Changi Airport in Singapore. CAG focuses on airport operations and management, air hub development, commercial activities and airport emergency services. Through its subsidiary, Changi Airports International Pte Ltd (CAI), CAG invests in and manages foreign airports to spread the success of Changi Airport internationally. Today, CAG has established CAI's presence to cover major economies including China, India, the Middle East and Europe.
As the seventh busiest international airport in the world, Changi Airport serves more than 100 international airlines flying to over 210 cities in worldwide and in 2011, more than 46 million passengers transited through Changi Airport. Changi Airport has over 390 awards recognised for its excellence in airport operations, including being voted as the ‘Best Airport in the World' by Business Traveller (UK) for 24 times between 1988 and 2011 and voted as ‘Deficiency-Free' for its safe and efficient air traffic services 30 times by the International Federation of Airline Pilots Associations. CAG's mission is to be the world's leading airport company growing a vibrant air-hub in Singapore and enhancing the communities it serves worldwide. CAG harnesses new technologies and continually enhances the online experience and communication with its travellers and internet users. In this regard, taking proactive measures to protect CAG's online brand presence to strengthen consumer trust, credibility, reputation and continuous innovation are paramount considerations in CAG's activities.
The internet is a pervasive medium that enhances communication, provide access to information and facilitate interaction and transaction. The volume of commercial transactions over the internet is constantly growing and bringing benefits of simplicity and lowered transaction costs to businesses and consumers. However, at the same time, criminal activities over the internet including data breach, hacking and phishing activities have also become more sophisticated resulting in loss of consumer confidence beyond mere monetary harm. The .changiairport gTLD will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with CAG online, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction.
CAG's mission and purpose of the proposed new gTLD share ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest. CAG is committed to contribute towards achieving such initiatives in line with ICANN's Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- consumer trust: the .changiairport gTLD registry will be operated in a centralised manner with a restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to CAG and its affiliate entities, at this stage, which will provide added consumer trust that .changiairport domain names are trustworthy. As .changiairport domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under CAG's control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .changiairport domain space;
- competition: the proposed new gTLD is not intended to instigate competition and consumer choice at the level of registration of domain names among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest through its operation focused on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in the .changiairport gTLD will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the proposed new gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting CAG's marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with CAG, particularly in a timely and efficient manner that is essential for travellers. As CAG has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under .changiairport domain space, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of the .changiairport gTLD, the projected number of registrations is likely to be limited. It is anticipated that between 40 and 150 domain names will be registered in the first few years. However, the number of registrations is likely to increase as CAG develops and implements new services and marketing campaigns.
As the new .changiairport gTLD expands and evolves, CAG may consider offering the use of second level domain names to its partner organisations at a later date. In this endeavour, CAG will continue to comply with all operational, technical and policy requirements, as well as maintaining consumer trust and the stability of the internet. CAG will keep ICANN reasonably informed of any material developments relating to .changiairport gTLD including compliance with the continued operations instrument obligations as set out in Specification 8 of the Registry Agreement.
CAG will also keep ICANN reasonably informed of any material development regarding the use of Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level while there is no such intention at this stage. The use of IDNs at the second level will seek to allow internet users to engage with .changiairport in their native language to create a more positive user experience and to encourage diversity.
CAG intends to create relevant domain names including product, services or geographic names for use within the .changiairport domain space. CAG may use geographic names at a later date to localise its websites relevant to its activities in accordance with its registration policy and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names as outlined in response to Question 22. The use of geographic names is intended to:
- connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory; and
- comply with required rules and regulations in the national territory.
Changi Airport is a well-recognised global brand and CAG has its "CHANGI AIRPORT" trademark registered in Singapore for the following categories: Advertising and business (Class 35); Insurance and financial (Class 36); Building construction and repair (Class 37); Transportation and storage (Class 39); Education and entertainment (Class 41); Computer, scientific & legal (Class 42); Personal (Class 45).
CAG also has "SINGAPORE CHANGI AIRPORT" and "CHANGI AIRPORT SINGAPORE" trademarks registered in Singapore for the same categories above.
Further, CAG has an existing domain name with an exact match to the applied-for .changiairport in changiairport.com and an existing domain name containing the applied-for string in changiairportgroup.com.×