9601 S. Meridian Boulevard
Englewood CO 80112
(a) Describe the mission/purpose of your proposed gTLD DISH DBS Corporation ("Applicant") is the parent company of DISH Network L.L.C., which operates the DISH Network television service in the United States. The DISH Network television service provides a direct broadcast satellite (DBS)... Read more
(a) Describe the mission/purpose of your proposed gTLD
DISH DBS Corporation ("Applicant") is the parent company of DISH Network L.L.C., which operates the DISH Network television service in the United States. The DISH Network television service provides a direct broadcast satellite (DBS) subscription television service and other content and video distribution systems in North America. As of December 31, 2011, the company served approximately 13.967 million customers in the United States. The Applicant's DISH Network DBS System consists of the company's licensed Federal Communications Commission authorized DBS and Fixed Satellite Service spectrum, as well as its owned and leased satellites, receiver systems, third-party broadcast operations, customer service facilities, and in-home service and call center operations. The Applicant was founded in 1996 and is headquartered in Englewood, Colorado. The Applicant is a subsidiary of DISH Network Corporation, a publically traded company.
In addition, Applicant's affiliated company, Blockbuster L.L.C ("Blockbuster"), is in the business of renting movies and video games to the general public. Blockbuster operates movie rental stores, a movie-by-mail business, and a multi-channel content delivery service, which includes an on-demand movie streaming service. Applicant's parent company DISH Network Corporation purchased the assets of Blockbuster out of bankruptcy in 2011. Further, in certain geographic locations, Applicant offers phone and internet services as ancillary services to it DBS television service. Applicant continues to grow these service offerings in expanding geographic locations.
Applicant seeks the proposed .blockbuster gTLD as a restricted, exclusively-controlled gTLD for the purpose of expanding Applicant and its affiliated entities' ability to:
• create a connected digital presence and personalized brand experience for customers and other business partners;
• deliver product and service marketing/advertising;
• enable marketing campaign activation;
• facilitate secure interaction and communication with individuals and entities with whom Applicant has a business relationship;
• improve business operations;
• simplify Internet user navigation to information about Applicant products and services;
• demonstrate market leadership in protecting customer privacy and confidential information online; and
• meet future client expectations and competitive market demands.×